Teaching Students about Tagging

This is a four part series that I've broken up so that other teachers can link to the posts that are most useful for them.

Part 1 - Tagging In this four part series, I cover tagging, review building a PLN with an iGoogle page, notes on wiki editing, and end up with Leadership notes. This is taken from a blog post for my ninth graders.

It is the end of the grading period and I have a few reminders and notes for my students about how they have been assessed and some small things that make a big difference.

Collaborations like this will continue to grow. The tag helps us find our students and also helps everyone categorize things. I should see three kinds of tags on your blog - separate them by commas. (Note: This is called "taxonomy" because we are agreeing upon the tag so we can categorize and find things.)

A) Tagging:
With so many students on this Ning, it is important for teachers to be able to find their students.


1) The school tag: whs
Why? This helps us pull everything from Westwood together. If you don't tag it, I don't see it. If I have to go looking, that is automatic points off. We all have to make the best use of our time and hunting for posts is a time waster.

I follow this "feed" to see what my students have turned it in:
http://digiteen.ning.com/profiles/blog/list?tag=whs

Current search for whs on digiteen Ning
Tagging is what we do and we've been doing it since 8th grade.

2) The assignment tag
I tell you what this is and it is different for every assignment. Again, use the comma to separate these. It helps me check off if you've done it. We're not using these effectively. You can usually see this at the bottom of my assignment post on this blog.

3) "Free tags"
Use any other tags that tell others what your post is about. For example, if you write about music use the tag "music" (no quotes - I use them here b/c of using correct punctuation) - then you can click on the tag music and find other students writing about music.

Why? This is called "folksonomy" and gives meaning to things on the web from how we tag things.

Understanding the use of tags is an important part of being a successful technology user.

4 Posts in this Series (Will link them after completed.)
Part 1 - How to Tag Properly
Part 2 - Building your PLN and RSS Feeds.
Part 3 - Editing Wikis and Placing Hyperlinks
Part 4 - Web 2.0 Leadership

Enhanced by Zemanta

Popular Posts